Establishing Guardianships

If your elderly or disabled parent or another family member has reached the stage of being incapacitated and unable to manage his or her own affairs, you may decide that a guardianship or conservatorship is necessary.

As an incapacitated adult, your family member may need help to care for you or manage your property or financial affairs. This kind of guardianship case is brought in the Supreme Court under Article 81 of the Mental Hygiene Law.

When a guardianship is established, the guardian will have power to manage the personal and/or financial needs of the incapacitated person (ward). Individual cases vary according to needs and our lawyer will work with you to determine the best course of action. To ensure the most appropriate pathway to guardianship for your loved one, work closely with an attorney. Meier Law Firm, PLLC, in Latham, is available to advise and represent you through this process. Our lawyers are here to listen, advise you and guide you through the legal and practical steps involved in getting a guardianship over your loved one.

For Advice And Help With A Legal Guardianship In New York

Our legal team is ready to answer your questions about any aspect of elder care or estate planning. We are eager to help you and your family find the solutions you need when a member of the family is incapacitated and requires assistance. Get the conversation started by calling 518-313-0249 or sending an email inquiry through this website.